Monday, January 7, 2008

I'd Like to Know Where You Got the Notion

Can anyone who sews help me?

I'm trying to find a cloth-covered wire bent into the shape of a U that sort of folds over and has a u-shaped piece that it fits into so the two of them work like a button to hold a coat together.

my big puffy whorey pimp ebay coat has them and several have fallen off and i'd like to replace them. but i do not know what the fuck they're called. hook & eye? frogs?

i went to joann fabrics but it was no help. probably cause i didn't know what the F i was looking for.


pb said...

Not to send you on a wild-goose chase, but what about all those odd little fabric and button shops up near the Fashion Institute? Around the 20s-30s on the west side.

I've always walked past those stores (probably on my way to Chipotle, again), so I don't actually know if they'll have what you're looking for. But from the outside, they look like the sort of places that trade in obscure clothing components. Of course, they could just be money-laundering operations for massage parlors.

Jessie said...

I would try bringing your jacket (or just one of the doodads, if you have one) to M&J Trimming on 6th ave between 37th and 38th. ( If they don't have what you need, they should at least be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck!

L said...

It's a fancy sort of hook-and-eye that you would find on fashion ave near the button notion vendors. The best option is to replace ALL of the fasteners (hooks and eyes, frogs, hand-carved toggles, whatever), and get extras to attach conveniently inside for when you lose another one. Sounds like cotton-covered millinery (hat-making) wire, which comes in white and black and is dyed to specs. You really are best off finding something you like and replacing them all. Get an awesome sewer to make sure your attachment method is solid. I always use my mother. Hope this helps.