Thursday, August 21, 2008

A Tinge of Cringe

I'll be one of a number of those sharing humiliating high school dreck in Cringe: Teenage Diaries, Journals, Notes, Letters, Poems, and Abandoned Rock Operas, which goes on sale Friday.

Today I had to scan some photos from that period. The writers are going to wear photo buttons of their old school selves at the book release party.
This one isn't from that period, it's from freshman year of college. The girl on the left is me, the one on the right is my sister. She was a sophmore.

Everything about this picture screams mid-Nineties. Fuck 90-new-10 and their faux nostalgia. I've got Cobain hair, brown cords, and shirt sleeves over my wrists because I AM NOT NIRVANA. I used to wonder why my BFF got all the tail. Umm, maybe because I dressed like a lesbian? Who would you rather fuck - the girl in the cute sundress or the one in the ratty mustard yellow grandpa cardigan?

My sister looks like a cheerleader for the Baltimore Ravers. They host weekly underground games in which two neon-clad teams try to out-hug each other while grooving to the sounds of disco-tripno-techno. Very often the cheerleaders will drop E during pre-game and spend the entire time humping their megaphones.

There's also not one, but TWO posters of Mr. Chris Cornell from Soundgarden. You never know when you're going to need a greasy-haired pretend Satanist. Best to have an extra lying around.

Learn more about Cringe here or listen to this story on NPR.

Also, see what Cornell's been up to. Pretty sweet stuff y'all.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who would you rather fuck - the girl in the cute sundress or the one in the ratty mustard yellow grandpa cardigan?

usually the one in the cardigan... do you still have it?

Anonymous said...

Don't ever apologize for loving Chris Cornell. His lean yet muscled torso is a national treasure. I do prefer him with the short hair, though.

jerry said...

you know the answer to that :)......still do.

Mary-Lynne said...

OMG... I used to be that girl too! Is that what my problem was?? What was wrong with us?

Anonymous said...

Holy Hell Erin. I remember that girl. I use to write drunken dribble. I found a couple of our notebooks and have a crap load of your poetry still. Also found some old love notes I never sent you?

http://bleucube.com/bleucube/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=30

- Thumper?

Erin Bradley said...

What's up, Jason? I still have old photos of you! Too funny. Are you on Facebook or any of that nonsense?

Sarah B. said...

God I was wishing Thumper was going to turn out to be Cory.

No offense, Jason.

Anonymous said...

Would love to see those pictures! Not on facebook - I have my own portal (bleucube.com/bleucube).

Yeah I remember your thin silky hair. Your big ass brush and meeting Joe in your dorm.

Glad you got out of michigan and it sounds like your staying out of sweatpants - so you life is going good for you!

Glad your writing too. Love the nerve stuff - your wit never ceases to amaze me.

- Jason