Tuesday, April 22, 2008

i smell pussy

Vice Magazine has a great interview with the lady behind Cat Prin aka "The Tailor of a Cat."

Fave excerpt:

Q: Do you have any pointers on how to convince a cat to wear clothes?
A: Always think about the cat’s personality beforehand, and don’t force the costumes upon them. Try to do it when they’re in a good mood, and say encouraging words to them. Cats love to be complimented. You can’t be half-assed about it either. You’ve got to be like, “OH MY GOD, you are so CUTE, you’re the best cat EVER!!” and they will actually feel it and feel better about wearing the clothes. Compliment your cat, and they will definitely get better at wearing clothes.
Full article.

I occasionally call the fat one "handsome" but other than that I don't really compliment my kitties.

I tend to talk to them like a taxi driver or a deli worker. I get home and they're clamoring about my heels trying to get food and I'll say something like: Cool it, Mac! OR Oh, you're just starving to death, aren't you pal? OR Keep your shirt on!

I know it's gruff but I like to think that the love comes through in my voice.

Questions for Discussion:
1. Do you compliment your pets? What compliments do you give them? If no, why not?
2. What is your ideal cat costume?

4 comments:

SG said...

STOP THE INSANITY

Do people who put costumes on their cats seriously think the cats feel anything but dread over it? Sheesh.

As for the "complimenting" part, I think animals definitely key on your tone of voice, but that's about it.

People need to stop taunting their pussies.

Anonymous said...

My cat thinks her name is "yoursopretty" because I just can't help myself. Also, I have put a pink boa on her and taken really cute pictures, but seriously, I only got the idea in the first place because she was playing with it. I didn't even remember I had a boa until she dragged it out of my closet. So it was her fashion choice, totally. Pretty pretty.

Erin said...

I sometimes put necklaces on my cats, but only to watch them try to get away from it and then being bewildered for a minute before they figure out that it's attached. I'm sort of a jerk.

I call my cats, collectively, "cat faces." As in, I walk in the door and say "Hi, cat faces." Now that I type that, I realize I'm sort of a crazy cat lady, maybe. A jerky crazy cat lady. Other than that, I'm all about nicknames that rhyme with their real names.

lessdirtydirt said...

I totally compliment my cats.
"You sexy hairy beast you"
"You fanstasical adorable furball you"
Its quite easy. I pretend like they are my children... slash my boyfriend if I had one.
I've always wanted to get my babies a kitty wig...
www.kittywigs.com

And yes I'm some random creep who reads your blog.