Sunday, March 16, 2008

death of a car salesman

Past few days I've been in Detroit. A funeral. My uncle Mike. My mom's brother. He sold Fords. There was crying, arguments over money and burial arrangements. Cold cuts.

We've never been a very big extended family. Now we keep getting smaller and smaller. I thought you were supposed to grow up and have your own family to replace that original dying family as you got older.

I also thought my handwriting would get nicer. You should see how I sign my name. It's awful. All loopy and diligent, like a 4th grader writing "Mrs. Ralph Macchio" on an autograph dog.

It's probably good I don't have kids. They'd take a legitimate sick day and no one would ever believe the note I wrote them.

6 comments:

mintzworks said...

I just love how you go from the funeral of an uncle to your non-existent kid's future sick-days.

Sorry for your loss, thrilled it spurred a blogpost.

Anonymous said...

Dude...who in the hell are you, anyway? I don't even remember how I came across your blog in the first place, but I gotta say you get it right way more than you get it wrong. You're this smart, funny, irreverent, funny, kind of stylish yet totally real, funny, slacker writer girl and your stuff makes me laugh. Just felt the need to share. R.I.P. Uncle Mike.

Anonymous said...

yeah, i would like to third these comments. you rule. please excuse my ineloquence.

Robert said...

Condolences to your family. You're right that it is hard growing into being the "grown up" generation. But I also believe that if you want a partner and children, you can have them (and be good at it, which is the important thing). It's a matter of deciding what you want and becoming the person who can achieve it; you have the insightfulness and self-awareness to do that.

MW said...

I thought you were supposed to grow up and have your own family to replace that original dying family as you got older.


AHHHHHHH! Stop making with the sad and lonely!

Anonymous said...

don't have kids. don't do it. resist.